Resource Directory /

Transition: Finance Resources

  • Icon indicates condition covered by Specialized Care for Children
  • “What You Need to Know About Your Supplemental Security Income (SSI) When You Turn 18”

    This publication helps youth prepare for the transition from school to adult life. It provides information about SSI work incentives that primarily affect youth, as well as information about common programs and services that parents, guardians and youth may find helpful. Specific programs covered include the Student Earned Income Exclusion, SSI Continued Payments (Section 301), vocational rehabilitation and the Department of Education’s Parent Centers. Information on Medicaid, the importance of keeping health insurance and having a primary care provider are also included.

  • DuPage County Transition Planning Committee

    The DuPage County Transition Planning Committee puts together a guide to help students and their families with the process of transitioning from the public school system to adult services by providing information about resources in DuPage County that are available after high school.

  • Financial Milestones Skills List

    The  Financial Milestones Skills List provides a checklist for youth to identify money management skills they have met as well as those areas where they may need additional focus. Some of these activities may not apply to everyone.  (English) (Spanish)

  • HealthWell Foundation

    The HealthWell Foundation provides financial assistance to eligible individuals to cover coinsurance, copayments, health care premiums and deductibles for certain medications and therapies.

  • Illinois ABLE

    Illinois ABLE (Achieving a Better Life Experience) accounts make it possible for people with disabilities and their families to save and invest for expenses related to living with a disability without losing, or losing access to, federal means-tested benefits such as SSI, SSDI and Medicaid. Earnings and withdrawals are tax-free if they are spent on a broad range of qualified disability expenses including housing, health and wellness, education and training, therapy, basic living expenses and more.

  • Medical Grants through United Healthcare Children’s Foundation

    United Healthcare Children’s Foundation offers grants  up to $5000 to families who have private insurance, but need financial assistance to help pay for healthcare treatments, services, or equipment that is not covered or not fully covered by their private health insurance plan.

    To be eligible for grants, children must be 16 years of age or younger. Families must meet economic guidelines, reside in the United States and have a commercial health insurance plan. Applicants may apply online at any time – there is no deadline.

  • Money Management: Skills Tips

    Money Management Skills for Children: (English) (Spanish)

    Money Management Skills for Teens: (English) (Spanish)

  • PACER’s National Parent Center on Transition and Employment

    Information and resources for families of youth with disabilities on transition planning, civil rights, work-based learning, higher education and more.

  • Paying for College: Skills Tips

    (English) (Spanish)

  • Planning for the Future: Skills Tips

    (English) (Spanish)