Resources to Help Youth Cope with Traumatic Events
State Board shares resources for children, families and educators.
In response to the mass shooting in Las Vegas, the Illinois State Board of Education has compiled a list of resources for parents and educators to help children and youth handle traumatic events. The list was shared in a recent Weekly Message from State Superintendent Tony Smith, Ph.D.:
- Coping with Traumatic Events: Resources for Children, Parents, Educators, and Other Professionals from the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA)
- Helping Children and Adolescents Cope with Violence and Disasters: What Parents Can Do from the National Institute of Mental Health
- Helping Kids After a Shooting from the American School Counselor Association
- Resources from the National Child Traumatic Stress Network
- Talking to Children About Tragedies & Other News Events from the American Academy of Pediatrics
Additional resources from the State Board on a variety of topics are available at https://www.isbe.net/Pages/Climate-and-Culture.aspx.