Home Care Enrollment Assistant Wins DSCC’s Award of Merit
Chicago Home Care Regional Office’s Yesenia Bustamante honored for outstanding service to children with special healthcare needs.
Yesenia Bustamante is the 2019 recipient of the Award of Merit from the University of Illinois at Chicago’s Division of Specialized Care for Children (DSCC). The award recognizes exceptional employees for outstanding dedication and service to children with special healthcare needs.
Bustamante is an Enrollment Assistant with DSCC’s Home Care Enrollment Team. This statewide team serves as a family’s first introduction to the Home Care Program. The program supports families who care for children and young adults who are medically fragile and require skilled in-home shift nursing.
Yesenia works at the Chicago Home Care Regional Office. Her colleagues say she is an indispensable team member who is dependable, motivational and passionate about serving DSCC’s participants and families. Yesenia often goes on home visits to provide Spanish interpretation services and frequently rearranges her schedule to be available to meet with families.
“Yesenia is highly organized and keeps her colleagues on task while ensuring our participants’ needs are at the center of what we do,” DSCC Executive Director Thomas Jerkovitz said. “She leads by example and shows the utmost empathy and care for each Home Care participant and family’s situation.”
After 15 years at DSCC, Yesenia says she loves the feeling of helping a family in need.
“Throughout the course of my tenure at DSCC, it has been a privilege and an honor to work on behalf of our families and participants to ensure that they have access to much-needed resources to assist them with maintaining daily life within their respective communities,” Yesenia said. “It is amazing and inspiring to see so many caring individuals come together as one to carry out DSCC’s mission to partner, help and connect families to services and resources.”
DSCC staff nominated a total of thirteen of our colleagues for this year’s Award of Merit. As the winner, Yesenia receives an Award of Merit memento, a $2,000 award and recognition from the Executive Director.
The other 2019 nominees are:
- Stephanie Alumbaugh, Champaign Regional Office
- Amy Cunningham, Rockford Regional Office
- Kim Firkins, Lombard Regional Office
- Jane Gowans, Mokena Regional Office
- Andrea Hoskinson, Central Administrative Office in Springfield
- Tiffany Kalka, Central Administrative Office in Springfield
- Roxane Lowry, Champaign Regional Office
- Charmaine McGovern, Lombard Regional Office
- Amy Nixon, Central Administrative Office in Springfield
- Brittani Provost, Champaign Regional Office
- Brenda Solomon, Central Administrative Office in Springfield
- Violet Wiker, Central Administrative Office in Springfield
Congratulations, Yesenia! And a big thank you to all of the nominees for their excellence on behalf of our participants and families!