Virtual – “23rd Annual Chronic Illness and Disability Conference: Transition from Pediatric to Adult-Based Care”
Thursday, October 27, 2022 - Friday, October 28, 2022, 12:00 am
A virtual conference for physicians, healthcare providers, youth and young adults who have a chronic illness or disability and their parents/guardians
Join Baylor College of Medicine, Division of Continuing Professional Development, for the “23rd Annual Chronic Illness and Disability Conference: Transition from Pediatric to Adult-Based Care” on Oct. 27-28 from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
This virtual conference is for physicians, healthcare providers, youth and young adults who have a chronic illness or disability and their parents or guardians. It aims to help them build skills, prepare and plan for healthcare transition for children and youth with special healthcare needs (CYSHCN).
One of the major hurdles to CYSHCN receiving successful transition care to adult health care, work and independence is the lack of a workforce trained to provide the necessary services.
This conference will help build skills and address the importance of health literacy in the transition from pediatric to adult-based care. Participants will explore a variety of medical, legal, financial and ethical issues, including:
- How to improve mental health outcomes in individuals with intellectual disabilities
- Advances in health care transition (HCT) services for adolescents and young adults with psychiatric illness
- The legal and ethical issues involved in HCT for adolescents and young adults with special healthcare needs
- Medication adherence using motivational interviewing
- The challenges and advantages around the treatment of anxiety and depression during the transition from pediatric to adult-based care
Participants will be able to meet and talk with faculty in small groups, exchange ideas and share knowledge and information about how best to plan for a successful transition to adulthood.
See the conference brochure for more details.
The cost for youth and family members to attend is $25.
Visit the conference website to sign up and see the pricing for professional attendees.
Registration will close at 12 p.m. on Oct. 26. You should receive the virtual conference link via email by Oct. 26.