Camp Lions Session IV “Vision Week” in Central Illinois
Sunday, July 22, 2018, All Day
East Bay Camp, 24248 Ron Smith Memorial Highway, Hudson
Fun camp experience for youth who are blind or have low vision.
Camp Lions’ mission is for the overall growth of the individual camper in self-confidence, knowledge, independence, leadership and creativity through a recreational experience geared to individual abilities, from the beginning camper to the returning veteran.
The fourth session is “Vision Week” and is scheduled for July 22-28 at East Bay Camp.
This session highlights activities that accommodate youth who are blind or have low vision. The daily schedules, posted in large print and in braille, might list many of the following choices: swimming, beeper baseball, horse riding, pontoon boat rides, beeper archery, and crafts such as painting, beading, or small handmade items. A beach party, dance, talent show, cookouts, songs around the campfire, pool swims, braille bingo and cards plus a wide assortment of tactile games, described videos, and more fun fill the week.
To be eligible to attend Camp Lions a camper must:
- Blind/Partially sighted: have a visual acuity of 20/70 after best correction; or be legally blind; and/or be a person who is:
- Deaf/Hard of Hearing: have an auditory loss that required daily use of sign language, lipreading, and/or daily use of a hearing aid or cochlear implant
- Be between the ages of 7 to 17 years old
- Be independent in all personal care without assistance
- Be independently mobile on campgrounds
For more information and to register, visit https://lionsofillinoisfoundation.org/camp-lions.html.