Webinar: “Using Remote Microphone Systems to Improve Listening and Learning for Young Children who are Hard of Hearing”
Thursday, June 20, 2019, 2:00 pm - 3:00 pm
Learn about the benefits of children using a personal remote microphone system at a young age.
The National Center for Hearing Assessment and Management (NCHAM) is hosting the webinar “Using Remote Microphone Systems to Improve Listening and Learning for Young Children Who Are Hard of Hearing,” presented by Merry Spratford. It is scheduled for 2 p.m. on June 20.
The webinar will discuss:
- Why it is important for early intervention providers, parents, and audiologists to be aware of the acoustical learning environment of young children who are hard of hearing.
- Emerging evidence showing the impact of receiving remote microphone systems on children’s language development.
In most cases, hearing aids are the primary approach to improving auditory access of speech for children who are hard of hearing. However, hearing aids are unable to provide good audibility of speech in environments where noise and reverberation are present or when talkers are speaking from a distance.
Personal remote microphone systems have been shown to improve speech recognition by reducing the negative effects of noisy, reverberant room acoustics and distance between speakers and listeners. While most of the research examining benefits of remote microphone systems has been focused on academic settings and school-age children, the webinar will review new evidence indicating a benefit for language development when children receive a personal remote microphone system at a young age.
At the end of this session, participants will be able to:
- Describe limitations of hearing aids in providing optimal audibility of speech in complex, acoustic environments.
- Find smartphone applications to measure sound levels within home and daycare settings.
- Compare language outcomes of children who received remote microphone systems to children who did not receive remote microphone system
Click on the webinar registration link for more information and to sign up.